Monday, February 4, 2013

It Could All Change

As we head into another week of the school bus strike, it feels as though the intricate arrangements for getting my children to their schools in the morning and home in the afternoon are not just a temporary solution, but the new normal.  Every thought process I go through about activities presumes no school bus.  Every imagined note to a babysitter presumes no school bus.  And yet, at any moment, it all could change.
 

Throughout my life, I have had friends who made summer plans, five year plans, and even life plans. Every so often, I've thought about doing that.  Even tried.  Problem is, most of the time when I make plans, so many of the underlying circumstances change, the plans no longer make any sense. Take summer camp--which New York City families tend to plan in January or February.  If I set it up to make sure my kids are covered if/when I am working, the scheduled weeks always end up to be weeks when relatives come from far away and expect my kids to be available. Work comes when it comes, so plans to go to meetings or school events are almost always tentative. Maybe it's a family of five, maybe it's the industry in which I work.  Or maybe I am just not a person who was meant to make plans.

So, while any day, we could back to having a school bus, any day we could go back to me working long hours and having babysitters ride herd at my apartment each afternoon, all I can--no, need to--deal with now is now.  The NOW normal. When things stop changing, I'll make some plans.

 

Don't hold your breath. The now normal changes just about every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment