Friday, May 22, 2015

Kentucky Bound, Part 3

As I finish Day 3 of my Kentucky gig, I can't help but think how nice it has been to share meals and cars and work and laughter with this group of people, most of whom I've never worked with before. I think about how every one of them is working as hard as I am. I think about the ones who are new at this, and the ones who have been at it for years, and the ones who, like me, are both veteran and new at the same time. I listen to stories of other jobs and of families back home (wherever home is), stories about new methods and new equipment. I learn all sorts of things from all sorts of people. And I find that I, too, have stories to tell.

Soon, my much-anticipated trip south will be over. I will go back to the day-to-day of local work and family life. I may return to the same things as I left, but I will not be quite the same person. That's just how it is when we open ourselves to new experiences. Working on a sitcom changed how I worked on soaps. Editing news changed how I edit promos. Being part of a traveling crew in Kentucky, on a program of classical music, will change how I AD, how I choose work, and how I approach the adventures that life continues to throw at me. And I am glad for that. Soon, I will go from Kentucky bound to New York bound. But I will be glad to take a little bit of Kentucky home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment