Sunday, May 19, 2013

Drawing Lines

I have never in my life been able to draw a straight line, even with a ruler. Which, as you might imagine, made elementary school poster making somewhat of a challenge.

It should, therefore, come as no big surprise that my ability to draw clear lines in life is, well, somewhat fuzzy.

Take my son's little league game yesterday. While my son was not "home in bed sick," when we got to the game, he was just not up to playing. So, I, having watched enough professional basketball games on TV to know that sick or injured players sit on the bench and cheer the team, drew the line--insisted he stay and cheer his fellow players. Until my husband pointed out that making a child watch something he clearly wanted to do but couldn't wasn't drawing the line--it was crossing the line.

Sometimes in life, it's hard even to see the line, much less figure out where you're supposed to be in relation to it. Where is the line between being there for your work and being there for your family? Where is the line between healthy food and "fun" food? Where is the line between what you need and what you just want?

Just as my inability to draw straight lines made me come up with creative ways to avoid them when making posters, I would like to think that my fuzzy view of lines in life means I approach my life choices just as creatively. The line, even between the same two things, is not necessarily the same every time, and it is the zigs and zags that not only make things interesting but also ensure that we'll do right by work and family, wisdom and fun, want and need.

So I don't think I'll spend too much time practicing with a ruler. I'm past poster making (except with my kids, and they are pretty good with lines.) As for me, I'd rather just enjoy the zig-zags.

No comments:

Post a Comment