Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Nice To Be Important/Important To Be Nice

Today in the studio, a member of the crew came up to me and said, "I don't know if you're the right person to ask, but you seem to know about a lot of things, so--"
 

I was, in that moment, both relieved and flattered--relieved because I, not knowing all the names as well as I should, have from time to time asked the same thing of other people, flattered because I guess this means I have presented myself as a reasonably competent, knowledgeable person on other days in the studio.
 

This whole thing reminds me a bit of the "nice to be important, but more important to be nice" quotation I have heard for years. Today made me grateful for a place where people are all in that trench together, where what I know can help someone else, and where our working together as a team (whether we know all the names or not) can really get the work done faster and better (we finished an hour early today).
 

I'd like to learn all the names, and I'm confident that I will over time--this is a relatively new gig for us all. In the meantime, I'll plan on doing the job well enough to be "important." And more important, I'll plan on helping the team work together by being "nice." Because that's how it ought to be. And we'll all hope for more "done early" days because of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment