Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day At My House

Surely you have been bombarded with ads about Mother's Day bouquets and brunches and generally flowery celebrations. Now for the Mother's Day that takes place at MY house...
 

1. There has been talk of breakfast in bed. Problem is, now that my kids are old enough to make it, they sleep later than I do, so I've already had breakfast at least once by the time they're up.
 

2. It's way hard to want any Mother's Day gifts when you spend most of your free time trying to reduce clutter in your home. Probably realizing that, my family gave me candy. And Thai dinner. No more clutter than wrappers and dishes that go in the dishwasher. Nice!
 

3. As far as I'm concerned, a day of no nagging goes a long way. Today was not a day of NO nagging, but there was room cleaning and piano practicing, so I figure I'm still ahead of the game in Mom-Land.
 

4. I don't think it's in my makeup to be completely stress-free. So to go with all this Mother's Day relaxation (haha), I spent an hour (okay, many hours) following a school online auction. And agonizing about down to the wire bids. Daily stress quota officially met.
 

5. There are a remarkable number of mothers in my life, many, many who should have received Mother's Day greetings from me today. Problem is, when you become a mother, you meet lots of mothers, but at the same time, become too busy being a mother to talk to any of them on Mother's Day.
 

6. Funny thing, you can take the cooking and cleaning and laundry out of the Mother's Day, but since it just comes back the day after, why bother? And if you take it out, no one will have clean clothes or dishes for the week, and does that really help anyone, least of all Mom?
 

So, thus ends another fun-filled Mother's Day at my house. I have gourmet chocolate, and my apartment is basically ready for the start of the week. All in all, I consider it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment