Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Gala

We're shooting a big, fancy, dress-everyone-up party on All My Children this week--the first, really, in this studio. And yesterday, just before I left work, I got a phone call saying that the crew should all dress for a party. So that we could be extra extras? No. (Which was good, because nothing in my closet would have held a candle to what the costume designers came up with for this). This was simply a gesture of spirit. A gesture of unity. So there I was, sitting in the control room with two producers in cocktail dresses and a technical director with a tuxedo jacket. And I was out on set with a stage manager in a tuxedo t-shirt and wardrobe people in long gowns. Not since I dressed up in a cow costume for Halloween at One Life to Live years ago have I had a spirit day like this (and I don't remember if I had any company on those cow costume days!)
 

As for today, not everyone joined in, but the fact that the idea would even be floated in a workplace makes me know that I am in a good place. And it is rumored that there will be more "spirit days" down the road. Only problem is, while dressing up "for a party" might be okay on the commuter train to Stamford, if we get to cow costumes and crazy hats and pajamas, I may get some mighty strange looks from all the suit types. No matter. I'll take it for the spirit--and for the team--any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment