Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Trivia. Not Trivial.

I woke up this morning to the happy news that I'd "won" the Cynopsis Kids Trivia Contest from last week. "Winning" really just means being one of a certain number of people who answer correctly, and the prize is simply the printing of your name and company in their e-newsletter, but, nonetheless, I was pretty excited to be recognized for knowing that Oscar the Grouch's pet was none other than Slimey the Worm.

Perhaps it was seeing my name--and my blog's name--in print. Perhaps it was the knowledge that I do have some head for trivia. But more likely, it was the reminder that, while I am currently working on TV for grownups, it is the Oscars and Grovers and Snoopys and Arthurs of this world that REALLY make my heart sing.

I have always been (okay, not quite always when I wasn't working) a firm believer in the fact that every event in our lives somehow prepares us for the next challenge--creates the steps that we need to move forward. Even while doing things we enjoy, we can be learning and preparing for what we'll do next, and perhaps my trivia "win" was my reminder to keep the children's projects, and all the other "next steps" I was considering, fresh in my mind, even as I enjoy the work I am doing now.

So, don't close too many doors, even as you are traveling that bus or train to the "now." The "next thing" is still around the corner. And it's not necessarily trivial. And you'll need to keep your eyes and ears--and your doors--wide open, so that you'll see it--and invite it in when it arrives.

And you never know--it might just come in the form of a Grouch in a trash can, and an unforgettable worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment