Monday, January 27, 2014

Just Do

I often wonder what would happen if I didn't do the laundry each week or buy milk when we're out. Would people in my house simply complain about running out of socks and underwear, or about being unable to make cereal or chocolate milk, or would they visit the grocery store or the laundry room? It's enough to make a person feel overwhelmed, unappreciated, perhaps even put upon.
 

Yet, in the midst of doing the laundry today, I suddenly had a flash of viewing it differently. In that moment, I thought about all the things that wouldn't happen in the world if people spent their time caught up in wondering why others were not doing. Whether it's the volunteers at an organization or the parents who watch your kids when you are running late or the visionaries who create gadgets and world-improving projects, there are people all over who don't wait for someone else to "buy the milk," who don't question why they are the ones doing the legwork or "the laundry." They just do.
 

My moment may have passed quickly, as I made my way upstairs and assigned folding duty. But the next time I am feeling overwhelmed or put upon, or particularly special because I'm the one guaranteeing milk and clean socks, perhaps I will think about "just doing," and about how much gets done in the world because of people who "just do." Whether they have clean socks and fresh milk or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment