Thursday, January 16, 2014

Through The Eyes of A Child

We received a package today--something we ordered after much thought. But, despite all our thought, what arrived was not exactly what I expected. It's by no means a disaster. It's just not what I expected.
 

When I inspected the contents of the package, I felt my heart sink into my shoes. After all, how could something so carefully selected be not as it was in my mind's eye? Yet, as my daughter inspected with me, she very quickly said it was fine. For her, the  good of the contents far outweighed the unexpected. And, having pronounced it fine, she moved on to her homework.
 

We grownups could afford to learn a lot from kids. While they may present us with all manner of drama, they can also be flexible in a way we sometimes forget. In the course of a week, they are called upon to adjust to the expectations of numerous teachers and often far more peers than any of us encounter daily. The world is big around them, yet we expect them to go out and conquer it--to make decisions about how to act and what to consider important. And, by and large, they roll with it--far better than we do.
 

As we inspected the package together, my daughter reminded me that the essence can be more important than the details, and that even if something is not how you thought it would be, it can still be workable--and beautiful.
 

Sometimes, it's well worth seeing through the eyes of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment