Sunday, January 26, 2014

Things Change

The DGA (Director's Guild of America) awards were this weekend.  With the exception of once, pre-marriage and pre-children, that I attended the ceremony in New York, I have spent a great many years watching soap colleagues go to the ceremony in LA (some expenses paid if we were nominated) and hearing the next day about the awards won and the celebrities and soap folks seen (or by middle of the night text if we were the winners).
 

This year, as I received update emails from the Hollywood Reporter, I realized that a moment really has passed. Through the hard work of people I know, soaps, now too few in number for their own category, found a spot in the dramatic TV category, but a spot mixed in with prime-time, higher budget offerings. Nomination lists included people I knew, but not people with whom I would discuss the next day what went on at the awards. I'm not sad I wasn't there--I haven't been to one in years . But I am struck by the reminder of how things change. Just when you think you've forgotten, you are reminded that things are changing all the time.
 

I hope some people I know won. While I haven't gone to the event, I have always enjoyed receiving the bright golden award in the mail when I was part of a winning directing team. It's nice to be recognized, and to be reminded of work that mattered, and I wish that for many people.
 

But things change. And who knows? Maybe change again, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment