Friday, January 10, 2014

Merry-Go-Round

As I find myself once again writing in the early morning because the previous day and evening have completely slipped away from me, I am struck by how quickly things in life can change. While it once seemed that sitting home unemployed (and being able to write at any hour) would never end, it is now hard to remember how I got through all those hours. While it once seemed that I had all the time in the world for coffees and email exchanges, there are days now when I can't even imagine sitting in a coffee shop, and my emails are less than three words each. While it once seemed that the people I used to see were my only pipeline to the world, being adrift in the world for that period of time has made me realize that my pipeline is much bigger than I ever realized.
 

My point here is not that I am busy. We're all busy, in one way or another. My point is that, whether you are happy or frustrated with your life, things can change. Things WILL change. While on a daily basis, it may be hard to see beyond the hours of that day, in the big picture, life is like a merry-go-round where the horses and the music change each time it turns. It may seem that you are only going in the same circles, but each circle is actually quite different, and each circle teaches you just a little bit more about what you enjoy and what you can handle.
 

So, on the days when I feel as though I just want to get off the merry-go-round, I remind myself how fast the music can change, and how quickly there'll be a new horse for me to try--whether I like it or not. And I decide to stay on this merry-go-round of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment