Sunday, March 24, 2013

Building A Team

You would probably expect this title to be referring to the new soap endeavor. But it is the weekend, and I am fairly committed to not losing the family part of this blog, so the team I'm talking about has just two grownups and three kids, and, one way or another, I am determined to make us a team.

This weekend largely focused on my daughters' performances in a play called "The Granny Awards." They played singing, fighting stepsisters, and performed the show four times, two of which I saw, two of which I didn't.

There was a time when I couldn't imagine not seeing every performance that included one of my children, and I certainly saw many parents there who caught all four shows. But when five members of a family have five different sets of things to be accomplished, you make choices, and recently, I've noticed that making those choices is what will end up making our family a team. We can't all be part of everything each of us does--it's just not physically possible. My son's little league season will start in a few weeks on the same weekend one of my daughters has a performance and the other has a rehearsal for another show. So we will certainly go in different directions. And it will be hard for the actors to care about the baseball player's practices and hard for the baseball player to care about the actors' rehearsals. But in the end, we will be home together, folding laundry (okay, under duress, but...) and eating dinner together, sharing stories of the things we did.

As far as I can tell, being a team is about not just working together toward common goals, but also working with each other to accomplish the team members' separate goals. We're not the perfect team yet--that's not so easy. We may have a long way to go. But we're working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment