Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday

This is not my holiday, so this has not been any sort of religion-related day for me (except for having matzah pizza, one of my favorite Passover treats, for lunch). But, nonetheless, it has been a very good Friday. As I was not working (union holiday for some unions), and my kids are still on vacation, it was a largely unstructured day--a bit of sleeping, coffee with a friend, and digging through the rubble in my apartment, created in my virtual absence over the last two weeks. My kids have risen to the occasion of self-sufficiency pretty well, but being my children, they are not exactly compulsively neat.
 

So what makes a good Friday? Time to talk to my high schooler, who is often so busy doing homework that she can't even think. A daylight walk in my neighborhood and a bus ride to another neighborhood without strict time limits. Being able to spend a little money on my kids or myself after a year of worrying about almost every penny. Breathing the air in my apartment and knowing that I can do it for a few days but won't have to do it every hour of every day. A good Friday is a day when I can look back on the past week and forward to the coming week--and feel lucky about both.

No comments:

Post a Comment