Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Small Victories

As I am not quite full time in Stamford yet, I was home today. But, as my son was not quite full time at school today (half day for parent-teacher conferences), what started out as a day intended to accomplish all the little things that will fall through the cracks once I am full time turned into a not so productive, schleppy kind of a day. Complete with rain.

On a day like this, made up of too-short pockets of time, it is easy to bemoan the number of things that have not gotten done, and believe me, I'm not too happy about the status of my to-do list. But I find that it is much more productive to focus on all the little things that DID get done, the little victories in the face of an unusual schedule and less than perfect weather conditions.

I put children on school buses (okay, that's not really an accomplishment, it's just a daily event). I made three lunches (okay, well, two and a half, really, since one child had a half-day and didn't really need a lunch. And I gave two drinks to one child and none to another, but...) Perhaps I should skip past the kids' departures!

I scheduled yearly checkup visits with my kids' pediatrician (which will have to be changed because not only are they too soon for the insurance company, they are in direct conflict with another commitment). I cleaned piles of stuff off the couches (and those piles have now been replaced with other piles). I laid out an ad for my daughter's school yearbook (which will likely change when she sees I have used a several year ago picture of her). I bought tickets for one daughter's play (but only for other people, not for us, since we can't seem to figure out which of the six performances we'll attend). It appears that all these things will be on a to-redo list tomorrow. Sigh.

So, on this half-day conference day, what I can say I really accomplished would be picking up my son from his half-day bus and having my conference with his teacher. With a few rain-filled bus and subway trips in between. Oh, and lunch and a book for the half-dayer.

And, I guess today, those will be my small victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment