Friday, March 1, 2013

One Little Word

It was a dreary day, one not conducive to stepping out the door, much less  staying out.  I wrote to the friend I was supposed to meet for lunch, unsure about where to meet, and after several e-mails with no conclusion about a meeting place, the whole idea of meeting at all became overwhelming when put up against staying inside and fighting the battles of getting things done.  So I wrote to say we should cancel, to which, my understanding friend wrote, "Awww."
 

A little word, and yet, one that made all the difference.  One that conveyed that my presence mattered, that my choice affected someone else.
 

All too often, in an effort to avoid pressuring friends or to allow people in our lives to make the decisions, we step back and don't convey how we really feel, when, with just one word, we can remind our friends that they matter.  I was certainly better off having joined my friend for lunch, and yet I would have missed the whole thing if not for that one email response.


So glad for that one little word "Awww."

No comments:

Post a Comment