Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Soap Camp

I never went to sleepaway camp. Not that I ever particularly wanted to. So, when I say this, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. But here goes--
 

I have enrolled in soap camp. That's the only way I can describe this initial phase of the soaps online. I take a train to a different state. A 15-passenger van picks me up from the train to get me to the campus. Once there, I see all manner of people I have know, in person or by reputation, for over 20 years (okay, nobody goes to camp for 20 years, but go with me here!) There are "good to see you" hugs and stories of our pasts or what we've done since we saw each other last. There are new faces we try to check out.  And there are long cafeteria tables where people eat multiple meals together. And, in addition to multiple meals, there are snacks all day. (Okay, the food is probably beyond that of any sleepaway camp I never went to, but, again, go with me here.)
 

This "soap camp" is not where I imagined a year ago I'd be now. I don't think most of us imagined we would be brought together again, especially in this "bring all the NY soaps together" way. But, for right now, it is the first week back to camp, and it's fun to be back.
 

Let the canoe races and talent shows (that's what you do at camp, right?) begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment