Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Shoulda Done It On The Train

When I first started to work in Stamford, people told me how great the train ride was for getting work done. After all, you're a captive audience for an hour. That's a lot of time for reading or working--or writing a blog, right? Which is all well and good, unless you spend one way just struggling to stay awake and the other debriefing from the day with fellow staff members. So, at just before midnight (yes, we finished before midnight today!), I am working to encapsulate the day into a tidy 400 words. While my kids, who haven't seen me all day, are desperately trying to stay up as long as possible to talk to me about every little thing. They would certainly say I should have done this on the train. My husband, who has barely been able to talk to me, would also say I should have done it on the train. And I, who would like to fall into bed right now, would absolutely say I should have done it on the train. Or on the lunch break, or during the morning 15 or the afternoon 15.

I try to avoid "shoulda" as much as possible. I just don't think it's generally too helpful to be facing backwards, beating myself up about what might have been and what I could have done to change things. So I am just not much of a "shoulda" person. But I am a "do it" person, so what I take away from today, as I fight to keep my eyes open long enough to hit "publish," is a resolution to turn "shoulda" into "do," so that next time I can come home more able both to listen to my home team AND to go to bed. Because, when tomorrow morning comes, I certainly don't want anything to make me say that I shoulda--just gone to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment