Thursday, March 7, 2013

Eyes Wide Open

I went to the eye doctor today. As many people do, I walked out of the doctor's office with a prescription for new glasses and a pair of hugely dilated eyes. And, as I stepped out onto the city sidewalk, even on this gray day, I was hit with the brightness of the world, brightness that was actually painful to my post-eye doctor eyes. I really just wanted to close my eyes and sit in the dark. And yet, sometimes it's much better to go through life with our eyes wide open.
 

More and more, we are called upon to make decisions without all the facts--without wide open eyes.  When my kids were small, if I signed them up for Gymboree, I knew that it was at a certain time each week for a certain number of weeks.  While work was different every day, it had a basic structure that I could see.  These days, it seems nothing is quite that clear. I have no problem with a little leap of faith here and there, but having my eyes wide open for a few hours today made me realize how helpful it can be to see the whole picture. It allows us to plan and anticipate and feel as though we are not always balancing on the edge.


Now that my eyes are back to normal, I'll admit I'm largely back to "leap of faith" mode. I will probably continue to sign up and ask questions later. But, having seen a little more for a few hours, I'd like to think that from now on, I'll be looking at things with my eyes a lot wider open.  On a much more regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment