Sunday, April 28, 2013

Everything Old is New Again

I walked the city streets with one of my daughters today, along blocks where we've been a thousand times. Yet, after many weeks of hours on trains and hours at work, the walk was a new discovery for me. For the last few weeks, my walking has been only purposeful and hurried--fast to make a train, fast to get home sooner, fast to get somewhere after work just a little late or to make it before somewhere closes. So, while we certainly had an agenda (some things have to get done on weekends or will never get done at all), we had time to talk, and observe the locals and the tourists and the store windows, all things that you miss when walking at breakneck speed. So today, everything old was new again.
 

Tomorrow at work will be the same. I will take a train, same as usual. I will edit or work in the studio, same as usual, either way, working to make dramatic shows. The difference is that tomorrow, after weeks of anticipation, we will get an idea of the public's reaction to what we've been doing all this time. While we are working on making episodes, episodes will come online to be seen everywhere. It might be old hat by now for us, but it will be new for thousands, no, (we hope) millions of viewers. And just as my walk in my familiar city took on a new feel today, I suspect that work will take on a new feel tomorrow. Will it be excitement, or anxiety, or relief? I don't know. I only know that tomorrow, for me, and for the rest of the production team, and for the viewers of One Life to Live and All My Children, everything old will truly be new again.

No comments:

Post a Comment