Sunday, April 14, 2013

Looking For Sleep--In All the Wrong Places

I fell asleep at my son's little league game. Well, to be fair, actually at the pre-game practice. And baseball is not exactly a watch-every-minute game, right? And I was only actually asleep for about 60 seconds. Just long enough to jolt awake so that I wouldn't be labeled (at least not this early in our first season) as the parent who fell asleep at her son's baseball game.
 

Again, to be fair, I have actually fallen asleep or just about fallen asleep in a number of "not ideal" places this weekend--the kitchen floor, the rest room at JCPenney, the cereal aisle at Fairway. Lack of sleep has a way of catching up with you somewhere, and since I rarely allow myself extra hours in bed, well, you get the picture.
 

But while tired is, I guess, not ideal (and potentially dangerous), the tired I'm feeling these days is an oddly good tired, a tired that comes from long work hours (yay, I'm working, and with people I like, on a project I like!), shepherding kids who are involved and engaged in genuinely interesting activities, and trying to maintain a tornado-free household. (Okay, the last one is not a good tired, just a necessary tired.) My point is that even if no one wants to live tired, or drift off in random places, there's nothing wrong with a little exhaustion as a result of hard but satisfying work.
 

I hope to get a good night's sleep tonight and start a new week--and a new show--raring to go tomorrow. But if you should see a dedicated mom snoozing at a little league game next weekend, don't be surprised if she looks an awful lot like me. Just don't tell anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment