Saturday, April 13, 2013

Transitions

Yesterday, we finished the first cycle of shooting One Life to Live. On Monday, we will start a five-week All My Children cycle (while, of course, still editing One Life to Live). I don't think any of this will really register until Monday, when I'm back in Stamford, or even Tuesday, when I'm actually in the studio shooting, rather than in an edit room. The process might be the same, but many of the people will be different. It will, no doubt, be a big transition. And within a few days, it will likely be as if it had always been that way.
 

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I tend to have a psyche that adapts to transitions. When OLTL ended, I walked into a different life with a lot of time at home. While it was not without stress, it was a life that fairly quickly became the new normal. And now that I am working and commuting and working some more, it's sometimes hard to believe that all those months at home really happened. Again, there's a new normal.
 

Sometimes I think that the ability to make transitions, both the small ones and the big ones, is the very best life skill we can have, and the most important skill we can give our children. It might be important to have memory of what has happened before--I certainly don't want to repeat mistakes I've already made--but the ability to move on, to make each new thing an opportunity and an adventure, has served me well. It has allowed me to use my skills without being locked into the last way I used them, and to enjoy each new project, professional or personal, for what it is, not just how it compares to the last one.
 

So come Monday, I'll be excited to transition to a new chapter in my Stamford experience. Just another step in my new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment