Tuesday, April 2, 2013

'Twas The Night Before...

The first day back to school. This particular Spring Break, now ending, was the subject of many discussions over countless months. There was hope of a trip to Florida, but a realization that we couldn't foot the bill, then months of watching airfares, followed by days of trying to negotiate around play rehearsals, and, in the end, all of the above complications plus a little thing called "Mommy's got a new job (and won't be going anywhere)." So this was not a trip vacation. Rather, it was a discovery vacation. For my daughters, discovery of how self-sufficient they were able to be, from planning parts of their days to creating their own lunches. For my son, it was perhaps more structure and less sunshine than he might have wanted, but discovery that he still had ample time for playing video games and accomplishing a very long list of test prep homework. As for me, I couldn't solve every home crisis long-distance, but thanks to email and cell phone, I was as close as I could be from a different state. Feeling guilty sometimes, sure, but actively involved from afar.
 

On this night before they return, we are up far too late--a combination of a sleep schedule I didn't get around to adjusting back, and loose ends that I should have tied up days ago. But aside from our being tired tomorrow, I would like to think that we would all review this break as a pretty good one. No suntans, no airplanes, and no Mickey Mouse. Just a week to find out a little more about ourselves and our capabilities. And anytime's a good time to do that, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment