Thursday, April 18, 2013

You Eat--I Mean, Learn--Something New Every Day

Okay, be prepared. And be full. Because this is a shameless tribute to the TV/Film entity affectionately known as Craft Services.

Confused? I don't know who made up the name, but Craft Services refers to the food people, the team who makes sure that, whether it's a four hour day or a fourteen, the cast and crew eat regularly and eat well.

And why a whole blog post about Craft Services? Because I learned yesterday, after weeks of wondering if I was taking from the correct (caffeinated, please) coffee pot each day, that they only do caffeinated on shoots. And, because, on any given day, I can choose to be a vegetarian or a carnivore, or just a chocoholic, and eat well no matter which I choose. And because I really do believe that the reason our crew is surviving--and staying cheerful--through some very long days is that they are well-fed.

As with anything new (well, new to me), Craft Services comes with its own set of "rules," and I would be remiss in my blogging duties if I didn't include them here:

1. Try stuff. How many places will you go where there is such an assortment of foods you could never make yourself?
2. But don't eat too much. Sadly, producers still aren't building a nap item into the production day.
3. Thank the chefs and servers--because of what they do, not only do you eat well, you don't have to worry about preparing and carrying food at the ungodly hour you get up to come to this job.
4. Eat strategically at the evening snack break--there is no train ride that feels longer than a late night one when you are hungry.
5. Forget there even is a dessert table. Once you're standing there, you know you won't be able to resist, and that brownie now, and the next day, and the next day, and the day after that will have you finding no work clothes that fit on the day after that.

And thus concludes my ode to Craft Services. Stay tuned for continuing updates from the place we lovingly call "Soap Camp."

No comments:

Post a Comment