Thursday, April 11, 2013

Independence

When you're part of a start-up, even a start-up based on old models, there is no built-in structure. In a way, almost every process is up for grabs. It is daunting, but at the same time, exhilarating. It is a chance to make what was non-functional functional, and what was good better. And that's where I am. There is a certain independence about it all. That is, if the creation of the structure doesn't bury you first.
 

My family is in the midst of a similar independence. For, as I spend many an hour as part of a team creating something from scratch, finding what works and what doesn't, they too are feeling their way along, pushing the boundaries of how what they want to do fits with what they can do. Some days, I wonder if they are doing a better job with the independence thing than I am. While I don't see all of their processes while I am working, it seems that they are finding new ways to accomplish things, both separately and together, and will soon have a completely new structure of their own, one that is not regularly dependent on my participation. Which is good. And yet....
 

Let's just hope that the start-up that's taking me with it will be just as successful as my family at this whole independence thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment