Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Transferable Skills--My First Day at All My Children

For those of you who are following the online soap news, yes, I know that All My Children shot for two weeks last month and started its new shooting cycle yesterday. But for me--and, hey, this is my blog--today was Day 1. First day to work with All My Children actors, directors, and producers. First day to discover a story and a show feel that might be different from what I was used to. A friend asked me yesterday if it was hard to be in a place where there was a new experience almost every day. I said then, and having had a major new experience today, I still say now that the new experiences only make me better and stronger and smarter.
 

When I was looking for work, there was a lot of talk from me (and most of the bazillion people with whom I had coffee) about transferable skills. Did being a casting person make you marketable as an HR professional? Did being a producer in soaps make you marketable as a reality story producer? And did being a studio multicamera AD make you marketable in any number of positions dealing with handling data and organizing people? (Clearly the people hiring for facilities managers and asset managers didn't think so). In the end, it was largely my editing skills that people understood, so transferable became a lot narrower than I'd wanted to think.
 

Today, on my first booth day at All My Children, I discovered that while there might not be easily recognizable ways to transfer my skills to the world at large, there were absolutely recognizable ways to use my skills telling different stories with different people. Sometimes, I think, the key to that Holy Grail of transferability is the willingness to lose yourself in the similarities and lose your fear of the differences. It doesn't mean I can be an air traffic controller just because I do traffic controlling every day. But it does mean that I can tell multiple stories with pictures and work to coordinate a whole lot of people with different needs.
 

Today's new experience is over. But the way I see it, it was just another step. A small but significant step in a lifetime of transferable skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment