Sunday, April 21, 2013

Osu and More

We spent most of our Saturday at a karate tournament (No, I don't do karate. My kids do.) My kids, along with hundreds of other kids and adults, performed katas (routines of punches and kicks) and weapons katas (same as above, but with a long "bo" stick in hand), and fought in the kumite (sparring) portion.

It's always amazing to me to see the range of what people are able to do at these tournaments. Some kids (and adults) perform such involved routines that you have to believe they are in the gym for hours each week, much like the gymnasts at the Olympics. Others (and my kids fall into this category) clearly enjoy it and work hard, just at a different level.

When my kids started karate several years ago, all I knew was that it could help them with balance and focus and coordination and toughness. Several years later, I can now see all of these things, plus a small knowledge of Japanese, and a facility with the word Osu (pronounced "Os," which they say when walking into the dojo or into a tournament event, or in response to a correction or instruction from their teacher. It means "respect," (and probably a whole lot of other things I don't kmow). It starts and ends my emails to their Sensei, and, I have to say, has added a degree of respect to a variety of aspects of their lives. Funny how a little word, just used often, can make a difference. With it, and their involvement with karate, they have gotten a lesson in how hard work and respect for those who know more and can teach you matters, and that is a lesson that we can all use.

My kids did not walk away from this tournament as big winners, but they walk away each day with something more--Osu--which is more than any medal or trophy can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment