Saturday, April 6, 2013

Power Weekend

I thought that weekdays of leaving home at 6:30am and returning at 11pm were intense. Turns out that weekends of transporting kids to and observing karate class, little league, and youth musicals, followed by late night tax preparation, are no less intense. The biggest difference is that, in this weekend schedule, I am not the one proving myself. I may take getting people to places on time seriously, but I am not the one getting up on stage and hoping to remember my lines. I am not the one up at bat dying to make a hit (and afraid of striking out). I am just the "chauffeur" (a funny term for the city, where getting everyone around is done by bus or train or on foot). And being the "chauffeur" feels good.
  

Over a year of sporadic freelancing, I spent a lot of time getting to know our family rhythms, and it's amazing how less than a month of working has taken most of that away. So these days, while some people might be looking for two days of recovery in their weekends, I don't mind having some power weekends. Being able to reconnect with my husband and kids' needs, rather than having them live by mine (which they mostly do during the week), makes the amount of schlepping worth it somehow. I can't say I'm so powerful at midnight when I've finally stopped to write this, but I can say that these weekends make me feel powerful.
  

Just have to make sure I save some power for Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment