Monday, April 8, 2013

Facing Backwards, No Windows

I thought I'd progressed over three weeks of train traveling to Stamford. I know which subway car gets me closest to the Grand Central steps and how much time I need to go to the ATM and still make the train. And I know that my goal is to be in a forward facing seat on the train to Stamford. Unfortunately, what you know and what you can do are not always the same. Today, on a train crowded in every car, it was a long walk for a spot, culminating in a seat that not only faced backwards but also bordered a wall rather than a window. As hard as it is to stay awake looking out the window, it is nearly impossible to stay awake while looking at just the back of a seat, so by the time I heard "tickets, please!" it was waking me up from a deep sleep. On the one hand, why wouldn't person sleep on a train ride when there aren't nearly enough hours to sleep at home? But having come way too close to missing my stop more than once, I know better-- leave the sleeping for home and the writing for the train.
 

I wish I'd gotten a window seat, and a forward facing one at that. But we don't always get what we want, and I'm sure there will be many, many things this week that matter a lot more. For now, a ride, a blog post written, and the start of a new week will be just fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment