Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Building Is Empty, But The People Remain

Today, I had the opportunity to reconnect with some of the people from my last job. It was a stint of just two years, not twenty, yet I felt connected. And as I saw some of my former co-workers, I began to realize that it doesn't actually take long to form connections, to feel as though a place and its people matter to you.

When the soaps ended, first at ABC, and then in Connecticut, there was an unpleasant feeling of loss--not just of work and income, but of daily contact with people who had come to matter in my life. Consciously or not, I became careful about forming connections. Perhaps work should just be work, so that changes in work would be just that, not changes in social structure as well. So I worked, and I learned, and I was careful about feeling too attached. The truth is, however, when you share so many hours with a group of people, when you learn alongside them, when you go through the ups and downs and the drama with them, it's hard not to get attached. It's hard not to miss the people, even when it's time to leave the place.


I had the opportunity to reconnect with some former co-workers today, and I was reminded that attachment sometimes happens even when you think you're just working. And that it's okay, really okay, for going to work to be more than just going to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment