Monday, October 19, 2015

Weekend, Day Two

In soaps, just this title would have struck fear into the heart of many an executive producer. As budget-breaking as late hours during the week might be, extra days on the weekend were reserved for only the most dire of situations--very last minute reshoots, very special sweeps week sequences, impossible actor availability scenarios.
 

News, however, is a 24/7 endeavor. While more may happen during the week, the viewing world expects coverage when there needs to be coverage, video when there needs to be video, someone there to tell the story, no matter what hour or day. The work is necessary, the cost accepted. So, after half a lifetime in a world that avoided weekends like the plague, I now live in a world that embraces weekends like just another sibling. My "weekends" are often midweek, my calendar a roller coaster in the amusement park of life. And when I think about it that way, who wouldn't embrace another sibling? Who wouldn't try to roll with the new experiences of an amusement park? New rules, new outlook.
 

So today, Weekend, Day Two, I was working. I may not always quite know what day it is when I look at a calendar, but little by little, I'm learning look at my weekends just a little differently. Because learning to look a little differently is just what you do--especially when you're not washed up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment