Friday, April 29, 2016

Autopilot

I take the same steps or the same train or the same snacks for a few days in a row, and I begin to believe they could become a habit.
 

I eat the same breakfast at the same time each day, and I begin to believe I could do it with my eyes closed.
 

I hear the same "Do your homework," "No more screens," "Clean up your room" come out of my mouth, and I begin to believe I might as well be pre-recorded.
 

I go through the motions of job and hygiene and parenthood, some days while my brain is busy thinking completely different thoughts, and I begin to believe that my autopilot must work pretty well.
 

Believe me, my life is far from the mindless existence I have described here. But sometimes, it is a relief to have parts of your life that you've done so many times, you don't have to think through every moment. Sometimes, it is refreshing to put on the autopilot and let your brain take an excursion to great thoughts, or simply different surroundings.
 

Sure, drive actively, with both eyes on the road and your foot on the pedal most of the time. But make sure to keep your autopilot in working order--you never know when it will come in very handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment