Saturday, April 23, 2016

Breakthrough

I have had a breakthrough. I can now arrive home from overnight work and go to sleep, soundly, for three hours, in daylight, with no effort at all. Now I just have to figure out how to make three hours enough.
 

I have had a breakthrough. I can now work effortlessly on an editing system that used to feel like a daily adjustment from the one I had used for years. Now I just have to make sure I can go back the other way if I need to.
 

I have had a breakthrough. I can now make breakfasts and lunches practically with my eyes closed. Just nothing with a knife.
 

I have had a breakthrough. I can now survive the highs and lows of parenting without getting too high and low myself. Yeah, okay. I'm actually still working on that one.
 

I have had a breakthrough. I can now do walks to the one of my kids' schools that is walkable in eleven and a half minutes flat. Now I just have to work on the tired-legs return trip not being twenty-five.
 

I have had a breakthrough. I am no longer overwhelmed by changing schedules and worrying what day it is. Now I just have to make sure everything makes it to the calendar so that I can actually keep track of schedules and what day it is.
 

When you're a parent, and a working person, and someone making sure to be "not washed up yet," breakthroughs are important. They are a reminder that you are never really stuck, no matter how stuck you sometimes feel. They are a reminder that you can still handle the new, and the challenging, and the parts of life that seem to change every day. So, let's hear it--what's your latest breakthrough?

No comments:

Post a Comment