Monday, May 2, 2016

Immersion For Free

It's not always easy to immerse yourself in someone else's passion. To put away your "buts" and "whys" and "why would you's," just long enough to see through someone else's eyes, believe in someone else's dreams, support when you don't even necessarily understand. We may be used to doing it at our work--after all, we don't always get paid to work on our own passions, and when you're getting paid, you do what you have to do. We are not, however, as used to immersing ourselves without pay. Yet, when we do, we often find new sides of ourselves. When we do, we often find freedom from the set of responsibilities that usually demand our immersion. When we do, we give a rare gift to the person in whose interests we are immersed, and a simultaneous rare gift to ourselves.
 

I take a leap, and I find myself immersed, and without my normal "why would I do this." I am immersed, and a day unlike any I normally spend has emerged.  I am immersed, and I have taken a trip to a faraway land. I am immersed, and I find the immersion has been so deep that it is almost hard to return to my "what has to be done" the following day.
 

It's not always easy to immerse yourself in someone else's passion. But when you do, you often end up stronger--and freer--for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment