Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Days

There is a little chocolate, and a hug or two more than usual. And then there are meals made and dishes put away, homework reviewed and the weekly schedule discussed. It is Mother's Day, but more accurately, it is a day in the life of a mother.

There have been years when I was feted--years with field trips to the Botanical Gardens, and years with bagel breakfasts that put me in a deep sleep for hours. But such things presume that life stops for the day, and these days, life rarely stops. So, if I am to be the one of the mothers for whom this holiday is celebrated, today is a day when I follow the schedule and lead the troops. If I am to be the mother that I set out to be each day, today is a day when I am in the trench, which, it occurs to me, is the place I usually choose to be, whether it's as a mom or as an AD or as just about anything. We can sit around eating the bonbons people have given us and basking in the awards and rewards for things we've done. But given the choice, I'd rather enjoy the bonbons with my team, and I'd rather be doing than sitting.

So, this Mother's Day, I may be celebrated, but I also celebrate the mother's days I live each day...

No comments:

Post a Comment