Sunday, May 15, 2016

Knowledge From High Above

I sit high above the audience, a record-keeper of sorts, operating two cameras for the most recent in a series of years of being the youth theater's videographer. In my professional life, I am far from a camera person, and each year, with one technical challenge or another, I am reminded of the glory of working on shows where there are experts in each area. But in not-for-profit, you do what you need to do, and learn what you need to learn, and I am happy to say that this year, I feel just a little more confident, just a little more prepared. Each year in between, you see, I have faced just a few more challenges that forced me to improvise. Each new job I've had has made me discover that I really can learn, and adapt. Each experience has taught me the right questions to ask and the right people to seek out.

So, this year, as I sit high above the audience, I do so with a little more calm than I've had. I do so with a little more confidence in myself and what I know. Because these days, in not-for-profit, and in the world, it turns out you need to know a little more than you used to. These days, in not-for-profit, and in the world, it helps to believe that if you don't know it, you can figure it out. So that you can be the editor, the videographer, the record-keeper, and a little of everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment