Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Little Pictures

Years from now, when I look back on the posts of this blog, I will see the patterns--the times when life was all about finding work, and the times when it was all about enjoying work. The times when my focus was when to sleep, and the times when there was too much time for sleep. The times when I was desperate, and the times when I was euphoric. Each day, I paint the little pictures. But when I look back, far away from where I was, I will see the pieces of a big picture, and perhaps I will understand just how all its pieces came about and came together.

When so much happens each day, it's hard not to get caught up in the little pictures. It's hard even to see what we want, when our daily survival feels dependent on seeing what we need right now. Perhaps the view from a distance is a more accurate one. But if, on a daily basis, we had that giant view, would we choose to engage in the tiny endeavors that make up our days? Would we be so consumed with the "big picture" that we wouldn't allow ourselves to enjoy the little ones? 


When I look from a distance someday, perhaps I will see the patterns. For now, I'm okay with just seeing the little pictures. They will make the big picture of my life soon enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment