Thursday, May 26, 2016

Vampire

I know basically nothing about vampires. I watch comedies and crime dramas, not horror movies and sci-fi. And I never even picked up any of the book series that made vampires mainstream.

Yet, when I emerge from work at 8am, shielding my eyes from the morning sun and trying to adjust my body temperature from a night full of air conditioning, I can't help but feel a little like one of those caped creatures. Some days, though I wouldn't bite a neck or suck any blood, I would venture to say that am just "off" enough to make some odd decisions. Most days, I happily head back to a dark cocoon before I can really face the day. It's not easy to live on a different timeline than what seems like most of the world. 

Yet, I suppose unlike a real vampire, I spend part of my "work at night" days getting a view of life that work wouldn't always allow. After my squinting at the sun and my withdrawing to darkness, I walk to school pickups, I enjoy lunch time conversations, I make reasonable, even if not gourmet, dinners. After recovering from the night and re-finding myself, I rejoin the regular human community, almost as if the rest of my day (and night) has not existed.

So, one could argue that I am a vampire. And, as I have no particular knowledge of vampires, I wouldn't know for sure otherwise. But more likely, I am simply another person trying to make it (whatever "it" is) work, given the circumstances I am dealt. And whether we work day or night, close to home or far away, isn't that pretty much what we are all trying to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment