Thursday, December 3, 2015

Feeling Today

As I headed out to pick up one of my kids from school, not rushing, not dashing from something else, not squeezing in the pickup between other commitments, I felt a lovely calm. I could walk, not run. I could enjoy, not worry. I could arrive with a look of joy on my face, not with a look of stress.
 

I have spent the majority of my parental life either having others retrieve my kids or scrambling to fit my own retrieving into an overbusy life. I have raced the clock, banked on on-time trains, and made frantic "I'm running late" phone calls. I have sweated and apologized and felt not good enough. So today, as I walked calmly and arrived on time, I felt an incredible peace. Today, as I walked home sharing a snack and hearing about the ups and downs of a school day, it didn't matter what all those other days had been. Today, as I was neither sweating nor worrying, it didn't matter what tomorrow would be.
 

Sometimes, the very best thing you can do is just feel today.

No comments:

Post a Comment