Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Better Answer

"I'm sorry. That won't work." To which I responded, "Okay, well, I guess I'll just try something else." But then I stopped. Stopped, and instead of backing down or walking away, decided to figure out why it wouldn't work, and how I could change that. And not ten minutes later, the problem was solved, and what had not worked was working.
 

It doesn't much matter what it was that didn't work. It doesn't even matter that much why it didn't work. During the course of today, in a rather mundane situation, I was reminded that "No" doesn't always have to be an answer that makes us walk away. "It doesn't work" doesn't always have to be a response that makes us give up. "You can't" doesn't always have to be a statement that makes us feel we failed. Sometimes, in both the mundane and the not-so-mundane parts of life, our response can be "I'll get to the bottom of this," "That can't be," or "Let's try another way."
 

Today, in a situation that itself doesn't matter all that much, I looked for a better answer than "I'm sorry, no," and I got it. Would that we could all go after that better answer a lot more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment