Friday, December 18, 2015

Squandered

When I have been working, have I squandered opportunities to get ahead because I was worrying about getting behind?
 

When I haven't been working, have I squandered my free hours worrying about when I'd work again?
 

When my kids were younger, did I squander the playing hours wondering when I could be finished playing make-believe?
 

As my kids are getting older, have I squandered the real-life conversations with them wishing we could just be playing make-believe?
 

When I have had engaging work, have I squandered the time focusing too much on today and not enough on the days after today?
 

When I have had the chance to listen, to understand, to be there--truly there--have I squandered the chance thinking about being somewhere else?
 

The days pass quickly, and before I know it, things have changed. Or they haven't. And those moments in which we could have made a difference are gone, squandered, perhaps, almost before we realize we have had them. As I head into a new year, I hope for far less squandering, and much more discovering. Because there are only so many minutes, so many days. So we may as well not squander any of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment